Saturday, February 23, 2013

Thing #13 - Tapping Into The Potential of Apps

Part 1: Exploring Zoho

I had never heard of Zoho before this assignment. I created a couple of test documents and found it really easy to use. This application does not have all of the features that I am used to from Microsoft word, so it limits you a little in what you can create. But overall, it was a simple and easy application to navigate. I tried to export it as an HTML file and post it here, but I couldn't figure out how to get it from there to here. I didn't see an option to publish it to my blog like the assignment directions said. When I exported it, it really messed up my formatting. These bugs aside, I do like having the option to open a file from any computer anywhere! That is a handy tool that could help me avoid several of the "oh no, it is on my computer at home" disasters that I have had. Even so, I think I will stick to MW for now.


Part 2: Google Docs

This part of the assignment was a little more familiar to me. I have used Google Docs in the past and have always found it very easy to use. Today was no exception. I had never created a drawing using this tool, so I decided to make that my adventure. I found that it was very simple to do and had many of the same familiar features of Microsoft Word. I also found the sharing process much more simple than Zoho. The link was easy to find and publishing it here was no problem. I think students could really benefit from using Google Docs as they can collaborate and work together on documents and such. It is helpful for students because they can work on an item at home on their personal computer and the other group members (or the teacher) can do the same. 
My Google Docs Creation

Upon reviewing both Zoho and Google Docs, I found Google Docs the better of the two web-based applications. Google is a more widely accepted software and offered more options as far as personalizing your creation. And as you know from my previous posts, I am a fan of all things Google. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment